Cherry Bakewell Bake
With this weeks recipe I take the classic cherry Bakewell tart recipe and make it into a tray bake! A golden layer of shortcrust pastry filled with an almond cake, strawberry jam, and topped with icing and glacé cherries!
Cherry Bakewell Bake
- 115 g unsalted butter cold, cubed
- 220 g plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 8 tbsp strawberry jam seedless
- 300 g unsalted butter softened
- 300 g caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs
- 130 g ground almonds
- 130 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 500 g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 8 glacé cherries halved
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and flour until a fine crumb consistency is formed. Then add the sugar and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and mix until a dough starts to form. Don’t over-mix otherwise the pastry will become stiff and brittle.
- Turn the pastry out onto a lightly floured surface, and kneed it together until smooth and even. Form into a ball and flatten slightly, then wrap the pastry in clingfilm, and place in the fridge to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven 180°C.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to fit in the base of the baking tray.
- In a small bowl mix the jam with 2 tablespoons of warm water, then spread the jam over the pastry base.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together, until smooth and creamy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding 1 tablespoon of ground almonds after each addition.
- Add the flour, remaining almonds, and almond extract, and stir well. Then, pour the mixture over the jam, spreading out to make an even layer.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until well risen, firm and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the icing sugar and 3 tablespoons of water, this will make a fairly thick icing
- Once the bake is cool, pour the icing on top, spreading out evenly.
- Decorate with glacé cherries, and leave to set (for added decor you could also spinkle with flaked almonds). Cut the bake into squares, serve, enjoy.